The Meridian School District works in partnership with our families and our community to educate each student in a safe and supportive learning environment to become a positive contributor to society.
Dear IRPS & TMCE Families,
We are all saddened by the events that occurred in Newtown, Connecticut, Friday morning. We wanted to share with you some information about how to talk with children about this type of event.
Based on your child’s age:
- Minimize or eliminate exposure to the media. Repeated viewing of the information can contribute to increased anxiety, fear and other symptoms.
- Minimize your child’s exposure to conversations that are occurring about the event. Seeing and hearing adults overwhelmed or consumed with the information can increase children’s fears.
- Stay calm yourself. Calm adult responses and reactions can go a long way to helping children cope.
- The primary need of children and adolescents is to feel safe and secure. Let your child know it is normal to be afraid and adults worry too. Brainstorm ideas for helping them cope with their fear (talking with you and other trusted adults when they are feeling worried, draw, write, physical exercise, listen to music, etc.). Reassure them their school is a safe place to be.
- Take time to listen carefully to their feelings and worries.
- Stay with everyday routines. All of us find safety in the predictable.
- Watch for significant changes in behavior (i.e. headaches, stomachaches, clinginess, withdrawal, irritability, etc.).
- If you have any concerns, please contact your school’s counselor for additional resources and/or strategies.
The following websites have additional information and resources for helping children deal with tragedy.
We are all saddened for the families and community in Connecticut. Be assured school safety continues to be our highest priority.
SKYWARD Family Access will provide you with real-time access to grades, attendance, and more. You will find your login/password located on the label on the letter coming home with your child this week. If you are already a SKYWARD user – nothing has changed. Your login and password is the same - and will continue to be the same through your student(s)’s school career! You can change your password once you have logged in (go to Accounts).
Each of your students enrolled in any of the Meridian School District schools is accessible through your login (just pull down the drop menu to choose your other children). Each guardian/parent has her/his own login. Students also receive a login in the higher grades.
The link to SKYWARD is located on the left side bar of the all Meridian school websites. (http://www.meridian.wednet.edu/drupal/)
You can reset a forgotten password if you have updated your profile to include a current email. *The school can always help you with difficulties. Just call!
We encourage you to check out SKYWARD Family ACCESS. It is a great way to be connected to the classroom
|Jill Iwasaki, Principal|
|Ten Mile Creek Elementary School||TMCE Phone: 360-398-8018|
|960 E Hemmi Road||Fax: 360-398-1097|
|Everson, WA 98247|