Annual Awards Process
Who can nominate?
Anyone can nominate a staff member, team or community partner/volunteer for an Annual Award. This includes students, colleagues, labor associations, supervisors, parents or community members. Self-nominations are not accepted. Staff or volunteers who’ve received an Annual Award previously are not eligible, even if nominated for a different award than they received. Exceptions may be made if an individual recipient is nominated again as part of a team.
How can I nominate?
The online nomination form opens on Monday, March 28 and closes at 5 p.m. on Friday, April 29.
What is the timeline of the 2022 Annual Awards?
- Nomination window opens Monday, March 28.
- Nominations close at 5 p.m. on Friday, April 29.
- Early May, the Annual Award Scoring Group scores awards in each of the categories and makes final recommendations.
- Mid-May, the Annual Award recipients are announced.
How are recipients selected?
The Annual Awards Scoring Group made up of staff from each school and the District Office will score the nominations using a scoring rubric. Scores will be tallied and then recommended recipients will be presented to the superintendent.
Better Together Award – Community involvement and family engagement are integral in a school system, and especially in our Meridian community. This award recognizes a staff member who has intentionally built connections in the Meridian community, reaching beyond the classroom to improve the lives of students through partnering with families and community members. Any individual employee or team in Meridian School District is eligible.
Community Builder Award – This staff member has gone above and beyond to make the school environment feel welcoming, inclusive and equitable for all students. This staff member seeks to build belonging at their school. They foster a positive school culture by working collaboratively with students, staff and families. Any individual employee or team in Meridian School District is eligible.
Early Childhood Champion – This staff member is dedicated to making a difference in early learning (birth to third grade) for the Meridian community. Their impact might include connections across early learning providers, implementation of best practices for instruction, family engagement, student growth, collaboration with others to benefit our youngest learners. Any individual employee or team in Meridian School District is eligible.
Innovative and Inspiring Educator Award – This educator prepares learners to have the tools they need to excel and the skills to move forward with success. Students in this educator’s class demonstrate a mastery of the material. This educator also contributes to making those around them better, is a collaborative team player and helps to improve our school system. Any certificated employee in Meridian School District is eligible. The recipient of this award will be nominated for the state OSPI Teacher of the Year Award in 2023.
Outstanding Service Award – This award is designed to recognize a staff member who models superior service. They work hard to make students, families and staff feel important, respected and exceed expectations daily. Any classified employee in Meridian School District is eligible. The recipient of this award will be nominated for the state OSPI Classified School Employee of the Year Award in 2023.
Volunteer or Community Partner of the Year Award – Community partners may be an organization (such as a community nonprofit or parent organization) that provides a volunteer, unpaid service to the school or district. Volunteers may be an individual or team that is not a paid employee and provides a volunteer, unpaid service to the school or district.
Annual Awards Scoring Group
- Highlight and celebrate our outstanding staff and community partners/volunteers.
- Review and score Annual Award nomination forms.
- Propose staff and community partners/volunteer Annual Award recipients to the superintendent.
- Review criteria and process for selection of staff and community partners/volunteers for Annual Awards and revise, if necessary.
- Each spring, the Annual Awards Scoring Group will score nominations, recommend recipients, and then review and revise the recognition process.
- Two representatives from IRE
- One representative from MMS
- One representative from MHS
- One representative from MP3
- One representative from the district